Monday, February 5, 2007

Uno

I don't know if I want to be a professional writer or not. If I end up pursuing writing as a career choice, it most definitely wouldn't be my only career track. I really love the arts and I'm learning to love Museum and Gallery Studies with each new semester in the CSUS Art Department. That doesn't mean I don't like to write. I love to write, but I think I lack the confidence to pursue a career as a novelist or what have you. I definitely would love to do work as a freelance writer for art publications, but at the same time (as I said before) I really love the museum world; and yes there are a lot of writing opportunities as a gallery manager or curator. But I'm not sure I want to be a professional writer, mainly because I'm not sure what that means.

After all, what is a professional writer? Someone who gets paid to write? Because if that's the case then I most definitely will become a professional writer in some shape or form. Otherwise I don't know if I'll achieve the level of writing that a professional writer has; does a professional writer use a special pen or write in cursive, print or by computer? Anyways, I'm rambling again.

I just hope that after this class my writing will develop to the level I think it can, to a professional publishable level. I really hope that with continued practice I'll gain my own unique style to telling a story, a style that contains a tone that is easily understandable. Not to mention I really need to work on being more concise and direct.

Apart from being a pretty interesting class that fulfills the elective element for my degree, I really want to learn about magazines in this class. I like the stories I read in magazines; I read when I'm waiting for a doctor's appointment, on a flight, or even when I'm on my break at Borders. It's just interesting to see some of the stories and see how each magazine has a different style or slant.

No comments: