Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Apathy kills...

...writing.

It devours the passion that brings writing to life. So today, after reading my blog 'Uno', I've decided I will never again write while feeling sluggish, mentally exhausted, or moody. This should prove interesting seeing as I'm taking 22 units and holding two jobs. But I am passionate about writing, despite the lack of enthusiasm found in my previous post. So I resolve to be passionate about my writing regardless of the subject matter.

Passion. I think passion is a necessary element in any type of writing. The best writers are those who write in a way that makes their readers excited and interested. An article that might otherwise be fascinating - say the atrocities of the School of Americas - will lose readership if it's written in a sluggish tired manner - much like my previous blog.

I am a passionate person. I'm passionate about writing because I believe there is a lot to be said in this day and a lot of it isn't being said. I'm passionate about soccer; I was born with a soccer ball attached to my foot. I'm passionate about education and tolerance because I firmly believe that it's something important, especially in the age we live. And I'm passionate about learning. I love to learn. I was looking at graduate schools last night and I was excited to discover that my top choice requires its students to study German or French - and I've always wanted to take French despite my Hispanic background and fascination with Italian art.

So to re-answer the questions Prof. Fitzgerald posed to us:

I hope to become a better writer, which I think is a common factor we all share. Most of us are taking this class to improve our writing and develop our own voice and style. I want to discover my writing voice and my writing style; I expect this.

Working with other aspiring writers is fantastic. We all have the chance to see other styles and hear other voices and find out where our own fit in the mix. I've enjoyed writing since I was a freshman in college [see: writing]. And I hope that this class will help me in writing what I'm passionate about. I want to write about what I love and what my readers love. I truly am excited about this class.

1 comment:

Michael K. Althouse said...

Apathy was the topic of an essay I wrote for the Prosper Magazine Blog Contest last year. Although somewhat more global and with distinct historical overtones, I believe it represents just another nuance of apathy.

With the schedule you're holding down, I sincerely doubt that apathy shows its ugly head very often. Nonetheless, it is an attitude... a mindset that can work its way into even the most resilient and place a pall over an otherwise optimistic outlook.

I think anti-apathetic behavior is the best defense against apathy. Keep the body moving and the mind will follow. That's why I write when I feel like it and, even more importantly, I write when I don't.

Mike