Monday, February 26, 2007

Tre

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."

I wholeheartedly agree with Rudyard Kipling - words are addicting and when used correctly can hold an enormous amount of power and influence. Regardless of what form they're packaged in, words are my choice of drug (along with caffeine and chocolate). My addiction tends to burn a hole in my pocket, but what can you do, neh?

Currently I'm only subscribed to one magazine: The Soccer Journal. I just can't really afford to have a subscription to anything other than the newspaper, but I do read a wide range of magazines whenever I'm looking to update my book collection at Borders. They include: Jane Magazine, Smithsonian, National Geographic, The Advocate, Times, and of course I always browse through whatever magazines are near the check-out stand when I'm buying groceries ( I get bored in lines).

I really enjoy National Geographic and Smithsonian because of their cultural content. As an art history major I really enjoy learning about other cultures and their traditions. Also I'm a junkie when it comes to the History and Science Channels. As for The Advocate and Times, I suppose at times I feel guilty at the fact that I'm not as aware of world events as I would like to be and these magazines allow to me to reconnect.

Jane Magazine is that magazine I just have to flip through while having coffee at Seattle's Best in Borders. It's entertaining and I enjoy the articles.

The Soccer Journal is the one magazine I do read from cover to cover with every issue. They have a lot of articles for coaches. And as an avid soccer fan, coach, and player I can't get enough of it.

Since I don't read magazines on a regular bases, I keep my mind occupied with other forms of the written word. A lot of what I read outside the books in my library come from the depths of the World Wide Web. The Internet is just a vast resource when it comes to information and I spend hours upon hours wading through the delicious that websites have to offer. The New York Times, Personal Blogs, BBC.com, The Onion, LiveJournal, and then I have my nice little comfort comedy food in the world of web comics.

1 non-fiction, 1 fiction, 1 graphic novel, 2 magazines, and a short story in either Italian or Spanish are what I usually aim to digest in a week. And I like to think I fulfill that goal fairly consistently (perhaps that's why I have trouble keeping up with my reading assignments for school). What can I say, I'm a book worm.


No comments: